The department of Chemistry established in 2007 with the mission to feed the budding Engineers with finer aspects of science, which make them to understand, exploit and innovative new arena, which contributes to the technological advancement of tomorrow in the field of Chemistry at UG level.
The staff members involve themselves in the welfare of the First year students. They have very good teacher-student interaction and all the teachers are student mentors also. This ensures good academic performance of the students. The department is also involved in active research in the fields such as dye adsorption studies, desalination studies, organic synthesis and biological studies and corrosion inhibition studies.
To provide enduring learning environment that facilitates the students to pursue their higher education. To train the students with diverse skills to work professionally in several fields through innovative teaching and learning process.
To achieve our objectives in an environment that enhances creativity, innovation and scholarly pursuits while adhering to our vision.
Course Outcomes Click Here
Area of Interest
- Synthetic organic Chemistry
- Environmental Science
- Vineetha Telma D’Souza, JanardhanaNayak,Desmond Edward D’Mello and P Dayananda “Synthesis and characterization of biologically important quinoline incorporated triazole derivatives”, Journal of molecular structure, Vol.1229, 2021, pp 1-15.
- Vineetha Telma D’Souza, Janardhana Nayak, Desmond Edward D’Mello and Dayananda P, “Synthesis, Characterization of Some 6/8 Substituted 2-Chloro-3- Formyl Quinoline Incorporated,3-Thiazoles/1,3-Benzothiazoles And Their Biological Studies”, International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology, Vol.29 (08), 2020, pp 1904-1912.
- Janardhana Nayak, P. Dayananda and Vineetha Telma D’Souza,“Synthesis and antimicrobial studies of (E)-N-((2- chloro-6-substituted quinolin-3-yl)methylene)-4-(substituted phenyl)-6-phenyl-2H-thiazene-2-amines”, Chemical Data Collections, Vol.24, 2019, pp1-6.
- Vineetha Telma D’Souza, Janardhana Nayak, ShivaprasadShetty M, Dayananda P and Anil Kumar SH, “Synthesis of Quinoline Containing Pyrazolone Derivatives and their Biological Studies”, Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, Vol.10(11), 2018 pp 33-40.
- Dayananda P, Janardhana Nayak, RameshaBhata and, VineethaTelma D’Souza,“Synthesis, Characterisation and Antimicrobial studies of 4, 6-Disubtuted phenyl – (5-subsutied phenyl -1, 3, 4-thiadiazol-2-yl) -1, 4, 5, 6-tetrahydro pyrimidine-2-thiols”, International Journal of ChemTech Research, Vol.11 No.11, 2018, pp 139-145.
- Vineetha Telma D’Souza, Janardhana Nayak, “Synthesis and Characterization of Biologically Important (E)-1-(2Chloro/hydroxy-6/8-substituted quinolin-3-yl)-N-[5-(4-substitued phenyl)1, 3, 4-thiadiazol-2-yl]methanimines”, Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Special Issue 1, 2018, pp 62–65.
Educational Qualification : MSc. (PhD)
Total Experience : 12.5 years
Areas of Interest : Teaching, Literature & Arts.
Departmental Responsibilities: NBA Coordinator
Professional Memberships : Nil
Subjects Handled : Engineering Chemistry and Engineering Chemistry Lab
Workshops / FDPs / SDPs / STTPs Attended/Conducted : 5
Conference / Journal Publications :
- Ashwini A Kamath, Dr.Nandini R,“Removal of malachite green dye in aqueous solution by Activated Custard apple (Annona Squamosa) Peel Powder”International Journal of Applied Chemistry , November 2018, 0973-1792.
- Ashwini A Kamath, Nandini R , Vishweshwara M , “Comparative Study of Removal Efficiency of Cationic Dyes by Chromolaena odorata weed powder” , International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology, 2020, 11776-789.
Funded Projects : nil
Educational Qualification :
Total Experience :
Areas of Interest :
Corrosion Studies, Water treatment
Departmental Responsibilities :
Subjects Handled :
Engineering Chemistry, Engineering Chemistry Laboratory.
Workshops / FDPs / SDPs / STTPs Attended/Conducted :09
Conference / Journal Publications :
- 1.Comparative Study of Corrosion Inhibition Capacities of Seroquel and Clotrimazole Drug Intermediates on Zinc Metal Surface in Acidic Corrosive Medium. Guruprasad A M, Sachin H P. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering. February 2021
- Corrosion Inhibitive Capacity of Vanillin-Based Schiff Base for Steel in 1 M HCl. G.Banuprakash, B.M Prasanna, MSanthosh, A.M Guruprasad, R.S Malladi. J. Fail. Anal. and Preven. October 2020
- Corrosion inhibition of zinc in 0.1 M hydrochloric acid medium with clotrimazole: Experimental, theoretical and quantum studies. M Guruprasad , H.P. Sachin,G.A. Swetha, B.M. Prasanna..Surfaces and Interfaces. June, 2020
- Rizatriptan Benzoate as Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in Acidic Corrosive Medium: Experimental and Theoretical Analysis.A Swetha, H.P.Sachin, A.M.Guruprasad , B. M. Prasanna. J.Fail. Anal. and Preven. August, 2019
- Adsorption and inhibitive properties of seroquel drug for the corrosion of zinc in 0.1 M hydrochloric acid solution.M Guruprasad , H.P. Sachin,G.A. Swetha, B.M. Prasanna. International Journal of Industrial Chemistry. March, 2019
- Use of Seroquel as an Effective Corrosion Inhibitor for Low Carbon Steel in 1 M HCl.A Swetha, H.P.Sachin, A.M.Guruprasad , B. M. Prasanna
- Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel by Capacitabine in Hydrochloric Acid Medium.M Guruprasad , H.P. Sachin,G.A. Swetha. Asian Journal of Chemistry. January 2018.
Funded Projects :
Areas of Interest
Electrochemistry and material Science
- Analytical Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Engineering Chemistry
Workshops / FDPs / SDPs / STTPs Attended/Conducted
- Ramshmi, G. P. Pavithra, B.M. Praveen and Deepa Devapal. “Development of Nanocrystalline Multilayer Ni-Fe alloy coatings: Characterization and its Corrosion behavior at elevated temperature.” Bull.Mater.Sci. (2020), DOI:10.1007/s12034-020-02087-6
- Shakarappa Kalgudi, G.P. Pavithra, K.N. Prabhu, Praveennath G. Koppad, C. Venkate Gowda and Satyanarayan. “Effect of surface treatment on wetting behavior of copper.” Materialstoday:proceedings. (2020), DOI:10.1016/j.matpr.2020.01.379
- Ramshmi, G. P. Pavithra, B.M. Praveen, Deepa Devapal, K. O. Nayana and G. Nagaraju. “Electrodeposition of Zn-Ni monolithic coatings, characterization, and corrosion analysis.” J Fail. Anal. And Preven. (2020), DOI: 10.1007/s11668-020-00848-3
- Ramshmi, G. P. Pavithra, B.M. Praveen and Deepa Devapal. “Development of Nanostructured Ni-Fe Alloy Coatings; Characterisation and Corrosion Analysis.” Surf. Eng. Appl. Electrochem., (2020), 5(1), 46-54.
- G P Pavithra, Chitharanjan Hegde. “Magnetic property and corrosion resistance of electrodeposited nano crystalline cobalt-Nickel alloys.” journal of electrochemistry and plating technology. (2014), DOI:10.12850/ISSN2196-0267.JEPT3812
- Pavithra G P, Chitharanjan Hegde, A. “Protection of layered coatings of Fe-Ni alloy for enhanced corrosion protection” Surf. Eng. Appl. Electrochem., (2013), 49 (3), 261-266.
- G P Pavithra, Chitharanjan Hegde. “Development of nanostructure multilayer Co-Ni alloy coatings for enhanced pre detection.” Anal.Bioanali Electrochem. (2013), 5(1), 59-73.
- Yogesha, , Ramesh, S. Bhat., Venkatakrishna, K., Pavithra G.P., Yathish Ullal, and Chitharanjan Hegde, A. “Development of Nano-structured Zn-Ni Multilayers and their Corrosion Behaviors.” Synthesis and Reactivity in Inorganic, Metal-Organic, and Nano-Metal Chemistry, (2011), 41(1), 65-71.
- Pavithra G P, A. C. Hegde. “Magnetic property and corrosion resistance of electrodeposited nano crystalline iron-nickel alloys” Appl. Surf. Sci., (2010), 405, 2078-2082.
- Presented a research paper titled “Development of Multilayer Ni-Fe alloy coatings and its characterization.” at the International Conference, 11th Bengaluru India NANO- 2020, held at Bengaluru, Karnataka, India.
- Presented a research paper titled “Development of nano-structured Ni-Fe multilayer for better corrosion protection.” at the National Conference, SRCS-2011, held at Kuvempu university, Karnataka, India.
- Presented a research paper titled “Nano-structured Co-Ni multilayer coating for better corrosion protection” at the International Conference on ICSSC-2011, Mangaluru University.
- Presented a research paper titled “Corrosion behavior of electrodeposited Ni-Fe composition modulated alloy” at the ICCC-2011, Bangkok.
- Presented a research paper titled “Electrodeposition & characterization of Fe–Ni alloy.” International Conference of RETMAC-2010, National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal, Mangaluru, India.
- Presented a research paper titled “Electrodeposited Fe-Ni coatings as electrocatalytic materials for production of hydrogen” at the International Conference on ISAEST-2010, Chennai.
Funded Projects :
- UGC funded research project entitled ‘Electrodeposition and characterization of nanostructured zinc-nickel alloy: correlation between corrosion and dielectric properties’
- ISRO funded research project entitled ‘Electrodeposition of nanostructured multilayer coating and its corrosion studies for aerospace application’ as a co-investigator
- VGST funded research project entitled ‘Ni-Mo composite coatings with NiO nanoparticles as electrocatalytic material’.
The department has very good infrastructure consisting of 200 meter laboratory with departmental library.
Major Equipments in the lab:
- Flame photometer
- Conductivity meter
- pH meter
- Hot air oven and Hot plates etc
Department of chemistry is a VTU recognized research centre since August 2013. This research centre with sufficient area has basic facilities required to work on different fields of organic and physical chemistry. Many of our faculty have also registered for the PhD from VTU and actively engaged in the research work in thrust areas of dye adsorption studies, organic synthesis and biological activities, corrosion inhibition studies etc.
The research lab has the following facilities: Orbital shaker, Water bath, Water distillation unit, Hot air oven, Heating mantle, pH meter, Conductivity meter etc.
Research scholars pursuing PhD at the Research Center
- Mrs. Ashwini A Kamath
- Mr Vishweshwara M.