The Electronics and Communication Engineering department incorporates a personal approach to education that is supportive of students and provides fundamental and applied skills in engineering, computing and mathematics. The department has highly qualified, experienced & dedicated faculty, committed to impart technical knowledge using advanced pedagogic methodologies and are often trained on latest technologies in association with Industry.
The learning environment, including faculty, staff, and administration, is focused on the evolving needs of students and society. The department has large and spacious laboratories with a congenial ratio of student to equipment where they get to work hands-on and get real-time experience under the guidance of the highly accomplished faculty. The Department has procured the Mentor Graphics to enable the students to learn the latest tools used by the industry.
Over the years, the department has built up laboratories in the areas of Electronic Devices & Instrumentation, Basic Electrical Engineering, Analog Circuits, Digital System Design, Digital Signal Processing, Computer Networks, Advanced Communication, Hardware Description Language (HDL), VLSI, Microcontroller, Embedded Controller and Project/Research.
The department fosters hands-on/realistic learning by encouraging mini projects and industrial visits. Apart from mandatory experiential learning, the department is empowered by Industry Collaboration with UiPath and KPIT.
To excel in the field of technical education and research by perseverance to produce high quality engineers and technologists having high levels of creativity and ethical standards, contributing effectively to the growth of our society and country
- To impart knowledge in the fields of Electronics, Communication and related areas with a focus on developing the necessary competencies, virtues and qualities expected of an electronics engineer by the society at large
- To familiarize the students with the state of the art technology to meet the growing demands of modern industries
- To foster self-development leading to positive social transformation
Program Educational Objectives (PEO’s)
- To produce technically competent graduates with the ability to analyze, design, develop, optimize and implement electronic systems
- To excel in professional careers or pursue higher education by acquiring requisite knowledge in the field of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- To inculcate adaptability to current and changing trends by engaging in lifelong learning activities by research
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO’S)
The graduates of the Electronics and Communication Engineering Department will
- Able to understand the concepts and applications in the field of Communication/networking, signal processing, embedded systems and semiconductor technology
- Able to design the analog and digital systems for given specifications and functions
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change
Department Advisory Board
- Mr. Sathisha, HOD, Chairperson
- Dr. G L Easwara Prasad, Principal, Member
- Dr. M S Nagananda, Professor, Member
- Dr. Vinayambika S Bhat, Professor, Member
- Mr. Srikrishna Shastri, Associate Professor, Member
- Mr. Ganesh V N, Senior Assistant Professor, Member
- Mrs. Swapna Srinivasan, Senior Assistant Professor, Member
- Mr. Taranath H B, Senior Assistant Professor, Member
- Mr. Ashoka Kumara, Student Representative, Member
- Ms. Shruthi V, Student Representative, Member
- Dr. Prashanth Kumar H, Assistant Professor, NITK, Surathkal, Academic Expert
- Dr. U C Niranjan, Director of Research & Training, Manipal Dot Net Pvt. Ltd., Industry Expert
- Mr. Mohammed Sadiq, Director of Tech-Gray Logix, Industry Expert
- Mr. Akash Javali HP, Alumni (2009-13)
- Mr. Radha Krishna Prabhu, Alumni (2009-13)
Non Teaching Staff List
- Mr. Srinivas Bhat M, Foreman
- Mr. Krishnaraj K S, Lab Instructor
- Ms. Bhoomika, Lab Instructor
- Mr. Rakesh, Lab Instructor
- Mr. Raghavendra Rao, Lab Instructor
- Mr. Dharmaraja Devadiga, Lab Instructor
- Karunakar, Attender
- Ashwini, Attender
- Shravya, Attender
All the laboratories are well designed, spacious and built to the best standards and fully furnished State of Art laboratories with well-equipped equipment to cater to all UG courses as per curriculum requirements.
- Electronic Devices & Instrumentation Laboratory
- Analog Circuits Laboratory
- Hardware Description Language Laboratory
- VLSI/ Microprocessor Laboratory
- Digital Signal Processing / Microcontroller Laboratory
- Basic Electrical Engineering Laboratory
- Digital System Design Laboratory
- Project Laboratory
|Operating System: Linux/ Ubuntu
Application Softwares: Code Composer Studio, Energia, Icarus Verilog, GNU Octane, Network Simulator 2 etc.
|Raspberry Pi 3, Arduino Uno, 8051 Microcontroller Development Board, Cortex M3 Development Board, Node MCU ESP-8266 Board, Bio Electrical Signal Acquisition module, 2.4GHz Wireless Transceiver Module, Texas Instruments Wireless Network Processor, Texas Instruments C2000 Launch Pad, Texas Instruments MSP430 Development Board, Sensor Modules|
The Department of Electronics and Communication has been supporting its students to participate in curricular and Co–Curricular activities. ECSA, abbreviation of Electronics and Communication Students Association, was inaugurated on 16th April 2009 by Dr. Sumam David, HOD of E&C, NITK, Suratkal in presence of Mr. Rajesh Chowta, Chairman, RET, Mangalore, Principal, Dr. Shankarananda and HOD, of E&C, Mr. Bheema Shastry along with staff Co-Ordinator Mr.Ganesh V N and ECSA president Mr. Sujith shetty. ECSA started on 16th April 2009 with 120 students has grown in gigantic proportions, evidencing spectacular developments, offering technical education in Electronic and Communications field. ECSA was founded with a view of giving a new dimension to the present education system. It aims to provide sufficient opportunities to each student to discover and face the challenges presented to them.
Forum Committee Members details
- Dr. Vinayambika S Bhat, Prof & HOD, Chairperson
- Mr. Srikrishna Shastri C, Chief Coordinator
- Ms. Pushpa Rani M K , Coordinator
- Ms. Dhanyashree Dinesh, President
- Ms. Vaibhav Nayak, Secretary
- Mr. Gagan, Treasurer
- Ms. Shruthi V, Cultural Coordinator
- Ms. Mahitha Dharmapala Bangera, Sports Coordinator
- Mr. Abhilasha, Student Placement Coordinator
- Mr.Ashoka Kumara, Student Placement Coordinator
- Ms. Shruthi V,Student Placement Coordinator
- Mr. Ravi Kiran, Student Placement Coordinator
To excel in the field of technical education and research:
The concepts mentioned in the syllabus gives wide insight and knowledge about the various streams (Communication and Allieds, Analog Systems, Digital Circuits and Programming, Humanities and Social Science, Basic Science) of Electronics and Communication Engineering giving both theoretical and practical ideas to apply towards societal and engineering problems.
Produce high quality engineers and technologists having high levels of creativity and ethical standards, contributing effectively to the growth of our society and country:
Students involve in the project design and development with the help of knowledge gained in Theory and Laboratory Courses in expertise domain.
Students involve in following National and State level Innovative Project competitions
- UNISYS Cloud 20/20 Contest: It gives the perfect platform as one of India’s biggest online technical project contests for the engineering students to showcase their innovative, path-breaking ideas and take them to the next level.
- KPIT Sparkle Contest: It is an annual innovation contest for science, engineering and design students across India. At the core of KPIT Sparkle lies youthful exuberance, which provides an opportunity for students to showcase their admiration for technology, while giving them an opportunity to develop working prototypes with strong social impact, resulting towards assisting the growth aspirations of the nation.
- India Innovation Challenge Design Contest (IICDC): India’s premier innovation and design contest, IICDC is organized by Texas Instruments, in association with Department of Science and Technology (DST). It is anchored by NSRCEL, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (IIM-B) and supported by MyGov. The main aim is to build a relationship between Students and Industries by providing them a good basic knowledge on Industrial needs.
- Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology (KSCST) Student Project Program: KSCST has been pro-actively engaging itself to identify, propose and implement Science & Technology based solutions to locale specific needs / problems in the broad areas of Water, Education, Energy, Ecology and Environment, Waste management and Infrastructure. KSCST executes many projects and programs aimed at improving socio-economic conditions of the people of the state.
- Anveshana Contest: It is about mentoring young and vulnerable learners through innovative models of engineering and broadening the horizons of the Higher Primary School children.
- Students also participated in IOT Challenge, Virtual Indian Solar Vehicle Championship, KSTA Project Exhibition, NAIN Incubation.