The Department of Information Science & Engineering is one of the Pioneer department in MITE. The Main objective of the Department is to provide academic excellence, boost up the technical knowledge of the students by providing opportunities to actively involve in paper presentation, hobby projects, technical contest etc.
Started in the Year 2007, the total intake of the Department is 60 the Department has six computing Laboratories, with a total of 135 computer systems. All systems are upgraded to the latest configuration with campus wide internet connectivity.
To nurture skilled and quality professionals with a strong technical background who will excel in the dynamically changing world of information technology.
- To provide quality technical education through innovative teaching methods.
- To outfit the students with strong programming and problem solving skills.
- To foster the students to meet the global competency in the information technology industry.
- To provide the best infrastructure and environment to its students and faculty members, to achieve excellence in technical education and research.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO’s)
- The graduates will be quality professionals, having sound knowledge in mathematical, scientific and Information technologies to analyze and solve the real world problems.
- The Graduates will be technically competent to excel in the dynamically changing information technology industry and to pursue higher studies.
- The Graduates will have effective communication skills, leadership qualities, desire for learning, and ability to work in multidisciplinary teams to succeed in their professional career.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
The graduates of the Information Science and Engineering department will be able to
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO’s)
The graduates of the Information Science and Engineering department will be able to
- Specify, design, develop, test and manage efficient software systems as per user requirements.
- Develop application software that would perform tasks related to Information Management, Web Technology and Mobiles.
Department Advisory Board
Prof. Manjunath H, HOD (IS&E) – Chairman
Dr. G L Easwara Prasad, Principal, MITE
Mr. Narendra U P, Associate Professor & Dean (Placement & Training)
Mr. Ramananda Mallya K, Senior Assistant Professor and Department NBA Coordinator
Mr. Rajesh N Kamath, Assistant Professor and Department NBA Coordinator
Dr. Karunakar A Kotegar, Professor, MIT, Manipal – Academic Expert
Mr. Praveen Kumar, Manager, Glow Touch Technologies, Mangalore- Industry Expert
Mr. Ashwin Poojary, Alumni, 2010-14 Batch
Mr. Achal R Poonja, Alumni, 2015-19 Batch
Ms. M Sandhya Bhagavath, Student Representative
Ms. Iona Amanda DSouza, Student Representative
Non Teaching Staff List
- Prameela, Lab Instructor
- Divya, Lab Assistant
- Latha, Assistant Lab Instructor
- Raghuveera P K, Attender
- Pooja D Suvarna, Attender
Data Structures /Design &Amp; Analysis of Algorithms Lab
Analog and Digital Electronic Lab/ Microprocessor and Microcontroller Lab
Database Applications Lab / Software Testing Lab
File Structures Lab / Computer Networks
Machine Learning Lab
Web Programing Lab/ Project Lab
Zerone is a student’s association of Information Science and Engineering department, whose objective is to promote awareness on advanced and emerging IT technologies through the conduction of specialized talks, events, competitions and general dissemination of information.
Zerone works to bring awareness of current trends in the field of Information technologies. To involve people in activities related to trends in the field of technologies.
Our association promotes and encourages students on developing their problem-solving abilities and focuses not only on technical skills but also with innovative and entrepreneurial skills.
- Mr. Manjunath, HOD -Chairman
- Mr.Raghavendra M D, Sr. Asst. Prof. -Chief Coordinator
- Mr. Praneeth H R -President
- Mr. Abdul Faiz -Vice-President
- Mr. Shashank -Treasurer
- Miss. Iona -Secretary
- Ms. Shifali -Cultural Coordinator
Association Activities 2019-2020
- A two-day workshop on “Development of Decentralized Apps using Ethereum” was held on 26th and 27th of February 2020 in association with Zerone by Mr. Achal R Poonja. Mr. Achal R Poonja, former student chair of IEEE MITE shared his knowledge towards the budding engineers of Mite. On the day one of workshop, covered with basics of ethereum blockchain. Later got into hands on with Solidity in remix IDE.
- By covering the basics of Solidity programming language, moved on to build coin transfer applications by building the back-end in the local system using Truffle and Ganache. First day was completed with testing the working of the back -end using the truffle console. On the second day i.e., on 27th of February, worked on connecting the back-end of the coin application to the front-end using web3, user interface code was written along with front-end code. Later the application was then deployed and testing was done. The two-day workshop was concluded by a valedictory session was hosted by Mr. Raghavendra M D, Co-Ordinator of Zerone. The students and trainer shared their feedback and experience during the workshop.
- Department of Information Science and Engineering in association with Zerone organized Codathon, a college level quiz event on C language, on 4-November-2019. It was organized for the students of 1st year, 2nd year and 3rd year. 84 teams participated in the event. The 1st round of the event was on 4th November 2019, where 36 teams qualified for the 2nd round. The 2nd round was held on 7-November-2019. Winners from each year were selected and awarded cash prizes.
- Ms. Shruthi Kotian, Technology Analyst from Infosys also an alumnus of MITE and Mrs. Deeksha Shetty, Technology Analyst from Infosys were invited for a talk on ‘Soft Skill Development’ on 16th November 2019. Ms Shruthi Kotian addressed the students by giving a brief introduction on soft skills and communication skills. She gave tips on how to give a presentation and the confidence we need to have while giving a talk. She also mentioned about the leadership qualities one should have.
- Mrs. Deeksha Shetty addressed the students by giving tips on how to crack an interview. The skills on which the interviewer will evaluate the candidate and also gave tips on answering the common questions asked in an interview.
- Mr. Achal R Poonja, former student chair of IEEE MITE, was invited for a technical talk on 26-Sept-2019 on the topic “Blockchain and its application”. He addressed the students by giving a brief introduction about blockchain, use cases, identity management system, supply chain management for e-commerce, secure e-voting and challenges in blockchain.
- Ms Victoria Mascarenhas, Senior analyst in eClerx, alumni of Information Science & Engineering, MITE was invited for a talk on opportunities in higher education on 3-October-2019. She addressed the students on the importance of higher education, the way we are benefited from it and the various competitive exams required for higher education.
- She also mentioned regarding how to face an interview in brief and what are the necessary practices to be carried during academics to stand out of crowd.
Association Activities 2018-2019
- Mr. Karan, an alumnus of MITE was invited for a technical talk in the month of March, 2018 on the topic “Modern Software Development in Startups and Enterprises”. He had this interaction session with 4th semester students.
- The student association of Information Science & Engineering, Zerone was inaugurated for the academic year 2018-19 on 27th September 2018 and was inaugurated by Mr. V Sampath, Ex-Vice President, Big Bags International Pvt. Ltd, Mangalore.
- PAN card and Passport drive was organized on 12th of October,2018. It was carried out by Arun Associates and, around 60 students applied for their PAN card and Passports.
- A two-day workshop on “The Trends in Internet of Things (IoT) and its application in Industry Automation” was held on 8th and 9th of February, 2019 in association with Dlithe.
Association Activities 2017-2018
- The student association of Information Science & Engineering, Zerone was inaugurated for the academic year 2017-2018 on 26th September 2017 and was inaugurated by Mr. Dikshith Rai, founder CEO, Code Craft Technologies.
- Department conducted fund raising activity from various sources towards contribution to the welfare of the Indian Army. The total amount collected was rupees 16,350/-
- Department of Information Science and Engineering, conducted a event named MUSICORUM, a singing competition, on 17/Oct/2017 which became a platform for the students of MITE to showcase their talents and the winners of the competition were awarded.
- Organized two days workshop “App Dev using Android” from 23/3/2018 to 24/3/2018, for 6th semester students by Dr. Manoj Kumar M V, Founder & CEO, Rectopage Softwares.