The Department of Mechanical Engineering at MITE Moodabidri accentuates on various domains of mechanical engineering fundamentals and latest advanced state of art knowledge & skills in Mechanical Engineering degree program, which are very much essential to compete and establish in the present improvement in technology on daily basis, in the world. The Department of Mechanical Engineering was started in the year 2007 along with the inception of the institute with an intake of 60 students. The department has performed well in the region to raise its intake to 120 in the academic year 2010-11 and to 180 from the academic year 2013-14.
The Mechanical Engineering Program is accredited by National Board of Accreditation ( NBA), AICTE, New Delhi from Academic Year 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20, i.e., up to 30-06-2020; Further Accredited for Academic Year 2020-21, 2021-22 and 2022-23, i.e., up to 30-06-2023.
The department of Mechanical Engineering has received a grant of 13.5 lakhs from AICTE to set up advanced laboratory in Material Testing during the year 2019-20. In wide range of industries viz Automation, Artificial Intelligence, Automotive, Aerospace, Energy development, conversion & control, Micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS), Modelling, Synthesis, Design, Analysis & Manufacturing sectors, Computer applications, IT and software companies, Mechanical engineers are uniquely placed to play key roles.
To develop technically competent Mechanical Engineering Professionals, Entrepreneurs and Researchers for the benefit of the society
- To provide a well-balanced program of instructions to impart concepts on basics and applied areas of Mechanical Engineering.
- To provide the state-of-the-art facility for learning, skill development and research in design and manufacture areas.
- To encourage the students to excel in the co-curricular and extra-curricular activities to impart social & ethical values and leadership quality.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO’s)
After successful completion of the program, the graduates will be
- Professionals in design, analysis and evaluation of Mechanical components and systems using state-of-the-art modern tools.
- Expertise in Design, Thermal, Materials & Manufacture streams of Mechanical Engineering and carryout research and innovations.
- Work effectively and ethically in allied fields of Mechanical Engineering.
- Work in a team with good communication skills to achieve objectives with keen on lifelong learning.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO’s)
At the end of the program, the student
- Acquire knowledge in Hydraulics & Pneumatics, PID controllers and Automation process.
- Excel in Principles of Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing of Mechanical Components to meet the Industrial requirements.
Department Advisory Board
- Dr. C. R. Rajashekhar, Vice Principal, GC member & HOD, Chairman
- Dr.DivakarShetty, Dean Academics & GC Member, Member
- Dr.Neelakantha V. Londe, Professor, Member
- Dr Lokesha M, Professor & SWO, Member
- Dr. Ramesh, Prof. NITK, Academic Expert, Member
- Mr.Donson D’souza, COO, Block Frog Technologies, Manipal, Industry Expert, Member
- Mr.Prabhakar Kikkeri, General Manager, Carl Zeiss Bangalore, Industry Expert, Member,
- Mr.Yajnesh, Alumni, 2009 Batch, Member
- Mr Bola Rohit Kamath, Alumni, 2011 Batch, Member
Non-Teaching Staff List
- Mr. Chandra Shekar Shetty, Foreman
- Ms. Suvidha S, Lab Instructor
- Mr. Yogish P, Asst. Lab Instructor
- Mr. Hemanth Kumar D, Assistant Lab Instructor
- Ms. SowjanyaShetty, Assistant Lab Instructor
- Ms. Nishanth S Kumar, Assistant Lab Instructor
- Mr. Prashanth M, Lab Assistant
- Mr. Veekshitha, Lab Assistant
- Mr. Karthik Kulal, Lab Assistant
- Mohan Poojary, Senior Attender
- Balakrishna, Attender
- Divya, Attender
- Rekha J, Attender
In the Computer Aided Engineering Drawing (CAED) Lab, the students learn and practice Engineering drawing using the software called Solid Edge. There are 65 personal computers with LAN connection and LCD projector facility. All the systems are having uninterrupted power supply by UPS batteries. There is also printer facility provided to the students for the purpose of documentation of their work.
This facility is utilized by first year students for engineering drawing and by second year students for machine drawing class.
Material Testing Lab
This lab is part of the curriculum of second year Mechanical Engineering. The lab has various material testing equipment’s like Universal testing machine, Torsion testing machine, Hardness testing machines, Impact testing machine, Furnace, Wear testing machine, Non-destructive testing.
Foundry and Forging Lab
This lab is part of the curriculum of second year Mechanical Engineering. It has two sections, Foundry & Forging. In Foundry basic work skill of making moulds with the mould sand is taught to the students. In addition to it, sand testing experiments are also taught. The major equipment’s available are sand sieving unit, compressive strength testing, permeability test, etc.
In the forging section, the basic work of shaping the metals by forging operations are taught.
Mechanical Measurements and Metrology Lab
Mechanical measurements and Metrology Lab has various measurement and calibration equipments. The major measuring instruments available are Profile projector, Tool maker’s microscope, Floating carriage micrometer, Autocollimator, etc. The major calibration equipments are Sine bars with slip gauges, Thermocouple, Sine center, Strain gauge, Pressure gauge, etc.
In machine shop the skill of machining operations using various machine tools are taught to the students in their second year of Mechanical engineering. The major machine tools available in the Machine shop are Lathes, Shaping machines, Milling machines, Grinding machines, and Drilling machines. The various jobs taught in the lathe machine are turning, taper turning, parting, thread cutting etc. Also the gear cutting operation and shaping operations are taught.
Energy Conversion Shop
This is part of fifth semester Mechanical Engineering curriculum. The major equipments available are Four stroke single Cylinder Diesel Engine, Four stroke single cylinder petrol engine, Two stroke single cylinder petrol engine, Four stroke Multi cylinder petrol engine, Abel Flash & Fire point testing, Pensky Martin Flash & Fire point testing, Viscometer, Calorimeter, Valve & Port timing, and Planimeter.
Fluid Mechanics and Machinery Lab
This is part of fifth semester Mechanical Engineering curriculum. The major equipments available are Pelton Wheel Turbine, Francis Turbine, Kaplan Turbine, Flow Measuring Equipments, Orifice meter, Air Compressor, Impact of jet on Vanes, Notches, and Centrifugal Pump.
This lab is setup for Computer Aided Modelling and Analysis lab for 6thsemester Mechanical engineering and Computer Integrated Manufacturing lab for 7thsemester Mechanical engineering. The lab has 36 workstations installed with FEMAP and Edge Cam Software.
Heat Transfer Lab
This is part of sixth semester Mechanical Engineering curriculum. The major equipments available are Air Conditioner, Refrigerator, Heat Exchangers, Heat Transfer Coefficient of a Composite Wall, Heat Transfer Coefficient in free Convection , Heat Transfer Coefficient in a forced convection, Flow through a Pipe, Emissivity of a Surface, Stefan Boltzman Constant, LMTD & Effectiveness in a Parallel Flow and Counter flow Heat Exchanger, Boiling of Liquid and Condensation of Vapour, Transient Conduction Heat Transfer, Effectiveness on Metallic Fin, and Thermal Conductivity Equipments.
This is part of seventh semester Mechanical Engineering curriculum. The major equipments available are Journal Bearing, Polaris cope, Governors, Vibration Test Rig, Balancing Apparatus, Deflection of Curved beams with strain gauge and strain indicator, Gyroscope, Whirling of Shafts, and Diffused light Polari scope.
Research Center, Department of Mechanical Engineering, MITE
The Research Centre under the Department of Mechanical Engineering was recognized by the Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belagavi in the year 2013. The research centre is equipped with various research lab facilities related to Thermal engineering, Manufacturing Science & Engineering, Materials engineering and Machine design with modern IT tools for modelling and analysis. At present 19 Research scholars have registered for PhD program and 01 candidate for MSc Engineering by Research.
The department of Mechanical Engineering has received a grant of 13.5 lakhs from AICTE to set up advanced laboratory in Material Testing.
Students and faculties are encouraged to publish research papers at national and International level Journals and Conferences. Few patents have been filed with Indian patent office. Research facilities are extended to researches of other Institutes also.
Department Association – Mechmites
The Department Association “MECHMITES” has been established to benefit the students in curricular and Co curricular activities. The basic aim of MECHMITES is to enrich students with different qualities to add dimensions to their personality so that every student emerges as multi-functional engineer who is globally recognized. MECHMITES was established in the year 2008. The motto of MECHMITES is to mould one’s personality in such a way that one becomes equally competent in all streams of engineering.
Association Members for the Academic year 2019-20
- Mr. Nikhil Kumar G — President
- Mr.VivekShetty– Vice president
- Mr. Mohammed Salman Sheikh– Secretary
- Mr.Elbon Arvin Dsouza–Treasurer
- Mr.Karthik C Rao — Sports
- Mr.Gagan G Amin– Cultural
- Mr.Sushan S Karkera — Joint secretary
- Mr.Irfan- -Joint sports secretary
- Mr.RadhvikPoonja –Joint treasurer
- Mr.Sharath Kumar — Joint cultural
The activities beyond the syllabus help to bridge the gap between syllabus & recent industry trends in Engineering & Technology. It prepares the students to use their skills with the strong base for acquisition of knowledge to sustain lifelong career in relevant areas.
Following are the few activities inculcated in the department beyond the syllabus:
- Students are encouraged to utilize resources like NPTEL and various e-learning materials and e-journals
- Students are trained with Industry oriented software solutions like NxCAD, Tecnomatix, and ROBCAD in SIEMENS CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE located at MITE
- Students are trained in developing practical skills in basic hydraulics and pneumatics through short term courses at Bosch Rexroth Centre of Competence in Automation Technology located at MITE
- Students are encouraged to work with innovative ideas and shall focus on current technological trends to carry out mini projects in 3rd year and Project in final year.
- Technical fests are organized by the students which enable them to be aware of the new frontiers in engineering.
- Department shall organise Industrial visits and support students to do Projects at industries to make them conscious of the challenges in the industry. To get acquainted with the work place environment
- The students are encouraged to attend various online courses (COURSERA, NPTEL) and trainings
- International Conferences and expert talks shall be avenues for the students to enhance their technical knowledge and soft skills by interacting with the resource persons of expertise from various fields.
- Students are encouraged to participate in various technical competitions which not only help them to be aware of the recent trends in industry and research but also enhances the organizing skills.
- Students are encouraged and supported to publish their research work in Journals and Conferences.
- Students are motivated and well supported to file their concepts for Indian patent.
- Peer learning activity: Encouraging the students to prepare and present topics from curriculum
- Student Academic Support Program: This program for the students who are academically not par with other fellow students. This program is aimed for the students who generally don’t perform well in the examinations. Students under this program are selected based on their performances in their previous tests/exams.
- Faculty are encouraged to take at least one topic in theory on recent trends i.e. beyond syllabus in each module.
- National Service Scheme shall help students to take up socially relevant projects, thereby imparting social commitment and environmental awareness which is minimally addressed by the curriculum.